Friday, June 25, 2010

When in Stockholm, go see the Museum of Dance

Dansmuseet (Museum of Dance) in Stockholm is one of the best museums I've seen so far. I only went to the free part. It was a big hall with glass cases with dance costumes from all over the world. And even though is was by no means fancy or surprising I still find it absolutely amazing.
It didn't take me that long to go through the exhibition, however, I felt almost every emotion possible by the sight of ballet dresses and African masks. They had TV screens showing examples of tribal dancing and along with the sound of drums I almost felt like the costumes in the glass cases were going to move.
Obviously they didn't, but never the less, I think it shows that - in spite of the quite plain way of showing off the exhibited pieces - the viewer is able to get caught up in the story told through the costumes. And I guess that is what costumes are meant to do?

As I said, I didn't see the part of the museum where you have to pay, but I will definitely check it out the next time I go to Stockholm. And should you be in the neighborhood I really think you should at least go to the free part. I mean, it's free, if you don't like it you can leave and you won't feel bad because did I mention that it's free?
Last but not least, their cafe is quite popular. People who work in the area go there for lunch. The food wasn't THAT amazing, but it was alright and the staff was friendly.

http://www.dansmuseet.se/

No comments:

Post a Comment