Monday, May 24, 2010

When in Berlin, visit the DDR musem

When it comes to museums I'm like a 5-year-old. I like to touch and open and discover. And this is exactly what the DDR museum is all about!
It's basically a collection of things from when Germany was divided into East and West and the East part was Communist and called DDR (Deutsche Demokratische Republik). I'm not going to try to explain anything about what it was like (because, to be honest, I don't think I'm in any way qualified to do so), but I'm pretty sure that this museum is spot on. If you know next to nothing about the DDR I would recommend that you check out the movies Goodbye Lenin and The lives of others. That should give you an idea of what to expect.
But back to the museum! Even though it's fairly new, it's by no means high tech or overwhelmingly fancy. The first thing to catch the eye is an old Trabant. An old Trabi that you get to touch and open and sit in. Afterwards you walk around and open closets and drawers and take out books and toys and clothes. There's an area showing what apartments used to look like. There are TVs showing TV shows from back then and ear phones playing the smash hits.
And my favourite part?


Learn how to dance the DDR way!

All in all I think this is a nice museum, suitable for almost all ages and it shows a very important part of the German history in an easily comprehensible way.

http://www.ddr-museum.de/en/

No comments:

Post a Comment