Saturday, May 8, 2010

When in Sweden, check out...

...these three things:

This is without a doubt my favourite shower gel in the world! It smells like eucalyptus and it's very nice and fresh and the label makes it look almost healthy. I must admit that (in spite of trying very, very hard) I still don't understand all the technical terms used when listing ingredients, however, I can tell you that there are no parabens in Myrten. And as if the wonderful smell and the paraben free formula wasn't enough, this stuff is actually cheap, too! Oh joy!
I bought it in this store that every one loves to hate. It's called Dollarstore, and contrary to what you might think, nothing actually costs a dollar. Everything is like 10, 20, 30... 150 SEK (Swedish kronor). Myrten was 20 SEK. I remember because I just took off the price mark (you can still see bits of it right above the label). I broke at least two nails in the process.

I haven't used my Oleum Basileum in a while, but I still think it's absolutely brilliant. I found it in the Co-op supermarket at some point in the fall when I had a cold and felt sorry for myself and my boyfriend had broken up with me.
What you do is that you boil some water, add a couple of drops of this (it's like a mix of essential oils, the smell is very herbal), put a tower over your head, and inhale the steam for about 10 minutes. First of all this clears your airways and second of all it makes your skin really soft. It's sort of a roman spa home treatment for your face :) I do it every now and then even when I don't have a cold.
Further more you can put a couple of drops on your chest before you go to bed to make breathing easier when you have a cold. And if I have a sore neck I rub in a bit as well. Not sure if it's actually working, but I like the smell.
I believe the price was about 50 SEK. And you will have a single little bottle for a pretty long time since you only use a few drops each time.

Försvarets hudsalva (a skin salve made for the (army) defense) usually comes in a green tube, but they made this pink version where some of the profit went to the fight against breast cancer.
It is basically just a skin salve. Almost every single Swedish woman I met had one of these and used it as a lip balm. It's a very no nonsense kind of product, the packing is super simple and in no way fancy, and if you have dry skin (not just lips) you apply it and it will probably work. That's it.
You buy it at a pharmacy and for 17 SEK you really can't go wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment