Wednesday, May 26, 2010

When in England, buy magazines

Being a sucker for freebies I can't help but love how British magazines almost always come with a little extra. Not only are they stuffed with samples of foundation in colours waaay too dark for my skin tone, but quite often they include a regular product.
When I went to London a couple of months ago I knew I was going to check out the magazine racks, only to see if I could find something cool and arty and different than what I can buy in Denmark. But what did I end up with? Two glitzy women's magazines about how to style hair and what eye shadows to match with a floral dress. Why? BECAUSE THEY GAVE ME FREE THINGS! I got some sort of hair care product that honestly doesn't do anything. But hey, the magazine was £2 and it entertained me during my flight. The other magazine might have been Marie Claire and it was like £3,50 and included an article about Danes being the top favourite sperm donors in the world and 50 ml of a Neal's Yard facial cream.
Does this post have a point? Ah... yes. Au contraire de most of the other places I've bought magazine (Denmark, Sweden, the USA...) England actually sees the opportunities that lies within the idea of "if we give people something for free, they will like us and then they'll buy our product and we will be rich and famous". Because of course they don't just give away things because they want to be nice, they do it a marketing trick.
But who cares? Free things are, well, free :D

No comments:

Post a Comment