Wednesday, May 26, 2010

When in Sweden eat a kanelbulla

Yesterday my parents asked me to bake some cake for a meeting they were having, and while considering my options my mind wandered along all the sugary wonders I've EVER eaten :) And then I remembered... A small cafe in Stockholm with an impressive selection of tea and a flair for making really good coffee and on the desk something that looked somewhat like this:

I guess 'kanelbulla' is best translated into 'cinnamon roll' - white bread with sugar and cinnamon filling. You can get them anywhere in Sweden, from 7/11 to organic bakeries, but the quality will vary. I usually make them myself, however, the best one I've ever had was the one I ate in Stockholm. It was huge, perfectly mushy and the amount of filling was just right. It was spicy and sweet, but not overwhelmingly sticky.
If you're in the area I would suggest that you check it out. The cafe is quite small and cozy, the back wall is covered in cans with different kinds of tea (you might need a moment to choose) and they make good coffee. They serve proper food, too.

Café 60, on the corner of Sveavägen and Kammakargatan.

Oh, and in case you were wondering; I ended up making a strawberry-rhubarb pie. From what I've heard it was AMAZING! And thanks for saving a piece for me, mum and dad...

No comments:

Post a Comment