Monday, May 3, 2010

When in Sweden, eat like a Swede!

Or don't. Personally I would skip most of it :)

I lived in Sweden for six months and thought it would be a good place to start off with. And hey, who doesn't like food, right? Well, let me put it this way: There's a reason why the Swedish cuisine is not quite as well-known as the Italian one. Actually there are several reasons.

Ahem...

What I Would Never Ever Eat In Sweden:
- A hotdog with mashed potatoes and shrimps.
- Surströmming. This is basically rotten fish in a can. Yes, some people eat it.

What I Would Taste If Someone Made It For Me, But Can't Imagine Enjoying:
- Flygande Jacob. A dish consisting of chicken, bananas, bacon, chili, peanuts, and cream. Had it not been for the bananas this would have been quite an ordinary dish, I guess.
- Jansons fristelse. Again, this really isn't that bad at all, I'm just very sceptical when it comes to adding the anchovies.

What I Really Think You Should Try:
- Ahlgrens bilar. Tiny candy cars marketed as "The most sold car in the World".
- Djunglevrål. Salt liquorice shaped as monkeys.

I just enjoy candy more when it comes in odd shapes!

I'm sure there are plenty of more dishes out there to either love or hate, but this was just my thoughts on eating in Sweden. Some day I think I'll make Flygande Jacob, just to find out what it's like. If you're interested in any of the recipes in English, you can either try to google it or let me know and I'll find it in Danish/Swedish and translate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment